Thoughts on the course as a whole

This course has truly given us an all-around view of the past and current ideas about dreams floating around the world. Honestly, I wish we had more time because the psychology was certainly essential in the beginning to help us form a lens through which to read the literature, but now that I feel we are finally establishing one the semester is over. When reading “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” for the first time I really felt I was doing an interpretation through dream-analysis. We had gone over psychological ideas and practiced with other literature enough that I was making connections and forming theories about Shakepseare’s ideas of dreams. I truly think the literature is the way to study dreams because that is what recreates them. The psychology is good for ideas to read the books with but it is in the literature that one finds dreams. Psychology gave terms, but the books had what I took the class for—dreams presented how great minds understood them. I wish we would have done some more literature (surrealist poetry for instance) and less of the more scientific psychology. Instead I would have preferred we spent time focused on the psychologist’s actual interpretation of dreams. Most of the books had sections where the psychologist’s would actually interpret dreams from test subjects and we rarely discussed these together. Through this we could have practiced on our own dreams and learned how to analyze them. However, we had little time and before any of this the basics had to be established and those certainly were. I have found sources to continue the class on my own with. I was impressed to learn that focusing on remembering dreams truly does cause one to remember them. It is hard to say concrete things about dreams because we can not see them or ever truly re-create them so this makes me nervous about my essay but I believe I have chosen one of the books that do it best. But precisely because it does it so well, it is an extremely difficult book to get tangible ideas from. I am very glad I took this class because there is a great portion of each day that was never taught in my college career and before finishing I have learned about it.

2 Responses to “Thoughts on the course as a whole”

1.   

I echoed your sentiment regarding “A Midsummer Nights Dream” in my blog. Studying it through the lens of dream theory was awesome as opposed to the abject bardolotry that occurs when Shakespeare’s works are studied in other classes -where the mere mention of his name sends the academics all atwitter and the discussion centers around him only.

2.   

I believe this is among the so much significant info for me. And i’m glad reading your article. However should statement on some general issues, The web site taste is wonderful, the articles is in reality excellent : D. Good job, cheers